Exclusive to Mace Engineering, here we have our design-registered lower manifold insulator to suit the Holden VS and VT series, fitted with an Ecotec L36 3.8L 6 cylinder engine.
What are manifold insulators and what do they do?
Manifold insulators are a thermal insulating spacer that mount between your engine block and intake manifold. Made from a heat blocking composite, our manifold insulators will increase power from your engine by keeping the intake cooler and increase low end torque by increasing runner length.
But how do manifold insulators keep the intake manifold cooler?
Given our manifold insulators are made from a composite material with a thermal conductivity of 0.29 W/m*K as opposed to aluminium, which has a thermal conductivity of 150 W/m*K; The difference works about to be that aluminium conducts heat 500 times higher than our composite material!
Also, with gaskets often made out of steel (thermal conductivity of 20 W/m-K) placed between the upper and lower manifolds being 0.5mm thick, replacing them with a manifold insulator will conduct up to an amazing 3,448 times less heat depending on the size chosen.
Our composite material also exhibits high stiffness and compressive strength, can withstand temperatures up to 150°C, and has a thermal expansion coefficient very similar to aluminium to increase sealing capabilities. In addition, the spacer can also withstand boosted conditions with ease.
The following test was conducted on a 1996 Holden Commodore VS with head and cam work. Normally the problem of low down torque is made worse when you stick a larger cam (with more overlap) in any engine as you effectively shift the power band. However by looking at the graph, we can see that power produced down low had increased by a staggering 10% using only our 12mm manifold insulator, with top-end increasing by a further 2kw at the rears! Please note that these results don't reflect the true nature of the on road gains given the lack of actual airflow, which further drop inlet temps.
Under normal driving conditions the plenum (upper manifold), with the insulator in place, becomes cool enough to comfortably touch. Unlike before, without the manifold insulator under the same driving conditions, making it very difficult to touch without getting burned!
POWER RUN, BEFORE AND AFTER MANIFOLD INSULATOR
- Design registered.
- Reduces charge air temperature resulting in better power consistency and detonation prevention.
- Power increase with no undesirable side effects.
- Improved low end torque by increasing runner length.
- Improved fuel economy.
- Easy to install.
- Can be used as a replacement gasket.
- Proven gains at an affordable price.
- 1 X Manifold insulator
- 1 X Bolt pack
- 1 X Silicone gasket maker
- 1 X Mace sticker
Vehicle Fitment Guide
Please select the part number you require from the drop down menu by utilising our vehicle fitment guide and parts guide.
- The image is for illustrative purposes only.
- Manifold insulator for WH Caprice/Statesman released from August 2000 onwards can be purchased through another listing
- Please confirm your runner profile prior to purchase as there was a design change in later model engines.
- To achieve optimum performance on a naturally aspirated engine, we recommend running a 25mm manifold insulator and a 12mm plenum spacer. However, for forced induction (side mount supercharger or turbo) we recommend running a 12mm manifold insulator and a 25mm plenum spacer.